TLC Venn diagram.jpg Teaching (TLC) tools

    I really enjoyed learning about some of the different tools that teachers can use to include their students, assess their knowledge and academic achievement, and view progress over the school year.

    In our modern age, we should be like the crow in Aesop's fable, as Dr. Wang suggests, and use a straw when it's available. I feel that these tools are like a straw, we could continue to use rocks, (techniques that have been around since before our technological age) it works, but a straw is more efficient and easier to use to accomplish the same task.

    I remember being in elementary and middle school and playing games on the computer, spelling, reading, grammar, math, and typing games. It was always a highlight for me! So I chose Wordsmyth for one of my resources. As far as ease of use, there is the option for students to log into their own account, and they have games at all levels, well labeled and age appropriate. They also vocabulary list making and quiz making tools to help teachers, i got the impression that it is very user friendly. Versatility, there are many ways to use the site, lots of different options, quizzes, games, crosswords, puzzles, etc. There is a great range of uses. 
 https://www.wordsmyth.net/?mode=activities&wl_id=w1




 I think this is definitely a tool that I will take advantage of. I feel it is a great way to add fun and excitement to a lesson and also quite easy for me to do even with limited time. 

Another tool I spotted right away was Google Earth. How cool is it that you can show your students an exact location that they may be studying. This tool could be useful in Social Studies, History, Geography, Science, and I'm sure we could all find other exciting ways to use this. Imagine a child from Mexico being able to show us the city they moved from, or someone showing us their backyard. When learning about the Grand Canyon, go take a look. When describing the fire escape route at the school, just pull up the school online real quick. Ease of use, it doesn't get much easier than this, it's pretty straight forward, just type in the location, and if you don't know that, just google it beforehand. Versatility wise, I was quite impressed, you can take guided tours, play "Where in the world is Carmen SanDiego," create stories and maps, as well as look up specific places. 











      
   I already use this in my personal life, so I see no problems integrating it into a classroom setting!
  



Comments

  1. Alicen,
    What a wonderful post! I have never heard of Wordsmyth, so I will have to go check that out. It sounds like a wonderful tool to use in elementary school. Also, I had never really thought about using Google Earth in the classroom, so thank you for that idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! I remember wanting to tell somebody about the forest in my backyard and the trail behind it and going, "wait, let me show you." I love using google earth, and the pictures are so incredibly clear, just for fun, you should look up your house... too cool!!!

      Delete
  2. Alicen,
    I’m beyond impressed with how well written your blog post is! Very informative while also being very personalized. I learned a lot from both tech tools you shared about, WordSmyth and Google Earth. I definitely will be taking advantage of these tools in my future classroom. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I love google earth, you should look at your house just for fun! I think I will definitely use both of these too, I'm excited to start utilizing the things we are learning!

      Delete
  3. Alicen,

    I also talked about wordsmyth for my blog post. It is a great tool for learning vocabulary and is something I would recommend for students. It is also very user friendly. I have not used Google Earth before, but it sounds like a useful tool for geography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that! I think google earth is very underrated, it is so interesting all the detail that the satellites are able to pick up. I love to go look at a new area when I am travelling somewhere or the like. I look forward to trying some of the other features. Thanks for your thoughts.

      Delete

Post a Comment